Day Two
Our next fun-filled day took us to Amish country, in Pennsylvania. It was a bit of a drive but well worth it. We also stopped in Maryland to see where Danaher, the company David works for, is located. What a beautiful area! So much of the time was spent in the car that we didn't take a lot of pictures but I will always remember this trip by the abundance of trees. So much of it reminded me of when I was growing up in Tennessee. Those woods were my playground! I asked the girls how they would feel about living near such woods and playing there and they loved the idea! The only problem I had from those childhood days was the annual bath in pink Calamine lotion, after my body had broken out from all the poison ivy. But the woods are a wonderful place for imagination and play. I really miss it.
From there, we moved on to Pennsylvania. There was so much that we wanted to see here but just didn't have the time. My main focus was the area around Lancaster because I am so intrigued by Amish life. I guess it's because I've read so many books that revolve around these families and it amazes me that people can still live so simply. For this "fancy English" girl, being "plain" would seem very gratifying. Living in the world and especially the area that we live, being a wife and mom isn't very highly regarded. I admit, when I worked, I thought being at home would be so much easier! Ha! But it is incredibly rewarding, albeit not monetarily or with tokens of appreciation like I had in the working world. But the Amish make homemaking an art - even laundry! They continue in the tasks that have become lost in this era and I just really admire that. Granted, I probably would die after the first week of working so hard and I would be kicked out simply for my sloppy quilt stitching. But David says that if I ever run away, he knows just where to find me :)

No comments:
Post a Comment